Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bullets or Lilacs? A Tale of our vacations

My husband Jon has been planning his trip to Las Vegas, Nevada for a competitive shooting course at the Front Sight Academy for quite a while. He's flying out and sharing a room & rental car with his shooting friends Steve & Judy. He's gotten plane tickets and has been buying up ammo whenever he can find it since there is no ammo to be found in Nevada.

Last week I was reviewing our Remedy Service Desk project and started thinking about taking my own vacation. I picked a week and started looking for Catholic Mission projects. I could never get a response from the one place in contacted and the trip dates don't mesh with my schedule for trips that local churches are taking to Katrina ravaged areas. I began looking for women's only vacations but some of the lodging only prices I was finding was more than I wanted to spend and that did not include getting there & back or food! I started looking for bus tours since I don't like flying. I found one that went through the Dakotas and into Montana and stopped at Yellowstone for two days. The price was reasonable except that the trip left from Minnesota so I would have to get there on top of the price of the bus trip. Jon was searching and found a local company called Croswell. Jon and I were looking at their trips on our computers. The trip to Cape Cod at the end of May sounded wonderful but it conflicts with Jon's "Richard Petty Driving Experience" day on May 30th. "No, honey, you are not putting Jonnie's booster seat in a race car traveling 180 mph!". The trip to the Canadian Rockies also sounded nice but 16 days was longer than I wanted. I finally decided on the trip to the Lilac Festival on Mackinac Island. Yes, I am going to Michigan. I still bleed scarlet & gray, love Jim & Thad, and shout OH-IO frequently in my home. I submitted my reservation last night, requested my vacation, and have my deposit going in the mail. The caveat is that the trip is a week earlier than my original plan and I am leaving on our 13th Wedding Anniversary. Jon had no issue with this especially since his Las Vegas trip has him missing Palm Sunday.

What's Jonnie doing this summer? He's attending AM & PM summer camps through Camp Recky through OSU Recreation. He will get to go swimming and play sports; he should be tired out when he gets home!

As you can see we are not a typical family that vacations together. Jon uses his vacation time to attend shooting courses or competitions. He always invites me but his trips sound about as fun as watching paint dry to me. I use my vacation time and do something else. Last year it was Katrina rebuilding in New Orleans, this year it's Lilacs!

Bullets or Lilacs - which would you choose?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home