Thursday, February 12, 2009

Birthday Bah Humbug

I have a really lousy attitude toward my birthday this year. There are a few things that came up today that really upset me:

1. A cold but I appear to have gotten one. Maybe it will be gone by Sunday.

2. An argument over what to do on my birthday. I had suggested something to Jon and he mentioned the Daytona 500 on Sunday. I thought that meant he did not want to do anything so I made plans to get my hair trimmed and to get my free cup of coffee from Caribou. Let's just say we're still an impass about Sunday although I really do need a hair cut!

3. To take my husband out to dinner next week for my birthday. The 4th degree Knights social is next Thursday and Jon wanted to go. With both of my guys salivating over the check I got from Mom & Dad, I would be the village idiot to show up at dinner with them next week!

4. To be up at dawn to get ready for Mass. Alas, Jon objected to Saturday night mass so I will be up at 6 AM on Sunday.

It appears that I am becoming grumpier and cynical as I get older. Having survived 7 months of being in pain and currently having pain relief, I should feel fortunate to have made it this far. Perhaps I have already been given the best gift of all (even better than money) and that is a diagnosis with pain relief. Maybe it really doesn't matter that my husband's choice in birthday gifts stinks, that Jon doesn't take me out to dinner, or that I'll be spending Sunday afternoon in a frigid basement drinking water while watching the Daytona 500 while pushing my overgrown bangs out of my eyes. What I should be grateful for is that I am here for my 36th birthday even if the gifts are lousy, that to eat at a restaurant that I have to pay for dinner, and that have to take some vacation at a later point so I can get my hair cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home