Sunday, January 04, 2009

Considerations for 2009

I have refrained from using the term "resolutions" in hope of being more successful by calling these "considerations". Regardless of what I'm calling them, these are things I'm considering for 2009.

Exercising my Brain - I'd like to spend more time reading, doing puzzles (i.e. word seeks), and professional development exercises than sitting like a blob in front of a TV somewhere in our house. When you have 6 TVs in the house, it's hard to get away from the tube. I want to spend time in those quiet spots in my home where I can curl up with a good book. This will help me be a better person mentally and spiritually (given most of my reading is religious).

Exercising my Body - It's true, I've been in pain since mid-July and I used this as an excuse to do as little as possible. Okay, so the work restrictions after I had to move equipment out of an office were valid given that I had to move furniture. However, I took advantage of the situation. I am back to doing more chores around the house. I am also trying to do 20 minutes of daily exercise such as walking or using my gazelle.

Cooking more, eating out less - I started this consideration last month after I got my copy of "Saving Dinner" that my friend Sarah spoke of so highly on her blog and facebook page. Using the credit card to buy food for the frig, freezer, and pantry only go use that same credit card to take the family out to eat because I had no clue what to make for dinner not only increased my debt but helped to expand our waistlines. This is not to say that we'll never go to a restaurant again! Although some of my Chinese or Asian cooking at home tastes good, it can't replace the authentic flavors we get from Chen's here in Plain City.

Spending more wisely - We're all aware that the economy is in the toilet right now. I did manage to spend a little bit less on gifts for Christmas 2008 but my credit card is still feeling pain. I'm going to attempt to use cash more while I work to pay down my Discover and MasterCard. When possible, I am going to ask that my extensive co-pays be billed so I can work out a payment plan with OSU which they've been good about doing so far. Obviously, laying in the ER with chest pain and monitors hooked up to me was not a time when I thought of requesting a bill. Instead, my husband got into my purse and asked me which credit card to give the lady standing there with the bill.

I think these are enough considerations for now. I've often errored on making so many resolutions that I could not possibly focus or achieve them all. I'm hoping for 2009 that less is more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home