Saturday, October 04, 2008

Out of It

I went in on Tuesday for what was to be a routine upper GI endoscopy. After I had been forgotten back in the endoscopy unit, rushed through prep, I was wheeled into the procedure room. The nurses were fun and we enjoyed some rock tunes on the radio in the room. The doctor came in and explained the procedure and I signed the consent form. That was where the routine-ness ended. My IV came out because my vein collapsed. The nurse doing my IV commented that my veins were difficult and we determined it was dehydration from not being allowed to have anything to eat or drink since before midnight. Finally, they found a home for my IV and the procedure took place and nothing was found. It took 3 tries before the IV would stick. Each time an IV was placed, I got a little more of the relaxing and sedative drugs. I got the "full monty" of drugs once the IV stuck. My recovery time was only 15 minutes instead of 2 hours. Between being forgotten about and my IV complications, we were behind and we had to leave the hospital to pick our son up from school. I knew nothing of what happened and my husband had to tell me what went on. I came out of it a bit on Tuesday but was so horribly ill that I could not keep down food or fluids. I was way out of it on Wednesday and could not drive to work. Jon got our son to school before he left on his trip. I was able to pick our son up from school and take him to "God School" aka PSR that night. I woke up feeling sick on Thursday but forced myself into work but only stayed part of the day. I went home and slept before picking my son up from school. On Friday, I was still very ill and took Jon to school, returned home and slept. Meanwhile, I drank as much water as I could to try and flush the sedative and relaxants from my system. Today is the first day that I have felt "normal". The only caveat is that my side pain has returned with a vengence but I'll take that over feeling and looking like my eyes were going to pop out of my head.

I talked on the phone with my husband quite a bit. I was really down yesterday afternoon and scared. He wanted me to call the hospital to see what I should do. I refused to make the call for fear that they would want to admit me to the hospital and that my son would be taken away by Children's Services. I did not want to lose my son and the fear I felt must have kicked in adrenaline to help me get better.

Jon and I love the life we have here in Plain City. Although my son has made no friends in the neighborhood because the neighbors won't let their kids play with him after my stint on the homeowner's association, we are hoping to get him into the school system next year here in town. Jon has lots of friends through the Knights and through shooting. I made some friends when we first moved here but since I am always working and taking care of Jonnie while Jon shoots, these friends have moved on to people who will spend time with them. I can't say that I blame them. The thing that bugs me most about living in Plain City is that we have no family. My parents are the closest and their health keeps them at home with their only trips being within Ashland. The majority of my in-laws live in the Salem area near Akron and will not come see us because of gas prices. My mother-in-law is in Kansas and recently had surgery. If we had family that we could turn to, someone could have taken care of Jonnie (even overnight if needed), and I could have called the hospital even if I had meant being admitted. Instead, I felt trapped and did not make the call for fear that my son would have been taken by Children's services because I am the only person he has until my husband gets home from his shooting trip.

God must have been looking out for me because I am feeling normal despite the side pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home