Saturday, August 16, 2008

Feel like a lab rat

I'm starting to feel like a laboratory rat. Thankfully, I don't live in a cage, have to run on a wheel, and, so far, nothing done to me has been lethal.

Since my doctor cannot determine the source of my left side pain and low grade fever that I've had since July 21st, we keep trying things. We tried the colonoscopy but my colon is fine. I had another blood draw on Aug 13th; no results yet. I had another urine test on the 13th which was negative so it was being cultured to see if anything would "grow". Yuck. On Tuesday the 19th, I am having another CT scan but this scan includes the entire abdominal and pelvic area plus a stone study. We are running the possible course that I could have kidney or gall stones. My doctor also has me trying prescription Prilosec in the event that I have something in my stomach that my previous CT scan did not pick up. The medicine is a "pump inhibitor" which will control stomach acid so any ulcers I might have can heal. My experience with the Prilosec is mixed at this point. I did not read the directions thoroughly when I first got it and for two nights, I took it prior to bed. This morning, I woke up horribly dizzy and feeling like someone cracked open my head and tried to scramble my brain. My husband bailed me out by taking my car in for the service appointment that I had at 8 AM and filled the car with gas which I forgot that I needed to get. Even around noon I still felt a bit dizzy so all of us piled into the van and went to Kroger for groceries. I was angry with the meds and started reading the leaflet again and confirmed dizziness is a side effect and that the med should be taken prior to a meal. Oops. Starting today, I am taking the med with dinner.

I am eager to have the test next Tuesday and get the results so I know what to do next. In the midst of all this, my husband has to have an ultrasound on his throat on Tuesday. His doctor felt nodules around the thyroid during his physical last week. The doctor called today about the blood work and found elevated liver enzymes so they want to check his blood again in a couple of weeks. I laughed when the doctor had told Jon that the elevation could have been due to alcohol consumption. He had a glass of wine in the last two weeks and that was his first drink in months. He's not a drinker and that's not a bad thing. My mother-in-law is on standby and ready to drive in from Kansas if anyone (or both) ends up in the hospital. I guess it's a blessing for us that she hasn't found another job or started her business yet!

Thanks to everyone for your prayers. I hate asking for prayers but I truly believe they do help. I know, if nothing else, the well wishes and hugs from friends that I have received during the past month have offered encouragement. I am blessed to be part of such wonderful communities of faith!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home