Monday, October 06, 2008

My Knight in Shorts & a Shootin' Vest

My friend Sarah writes frequently about her husband Bob and often refers to him as her "Prince Charming". I stopped to think about the best endearing way to describe my husband and I have decided upon "My Knight in Shorts and a Shootin' Vest". Aside from picking up on his hobbies, the Knights of Columbus and shooting, I feel he has truly been a Knight especially while I've been sick.

Jon doesn't have a suit of armor or a ride a white horse; instead he wears shorts and a shooting vest while driving a mini-van. My Knight has fought for my rights when I've given up. He helped me finally be seen by someone at the ER back in July when my whole medical situation started. He called my doctor and told her about my change in symptoms when I refused because I did not want to be blown off again. He got me an appointment with his doctor to get a second opinion. He called the GI department when they canceled my appointment after waiting six weeks for it and got me scheduled the same week. He asked questions and sought answers when I was forgotten in the endoscopy department last week during my upper GI. More simply, he's done laundry, washed dishes, cooked meals, and cared for our son during times when I could not.

Some may criticize Jon for continuing his shooting during my undiagnosed illness. It's not always easy but I support it. There have been times when I wished he wouldn't have gone to a match because I'm not feeling well but I've gotten through it. His trip to IDPA Nationals is a perfect example but I made a promise to him when I got sick that I would do everything in my power to hold down the fort so he could go to Nationals. Granted, neither one of us would have ever imagined that I would have had complications with my upper GI that resulted in my getting over-dosed with nasty drugs that left me sick and out of it for several days. I managed at this end and Jon came home with a 4th place plaque in his division on his end. Aside from being so proud of his accomplishments on the shooting front, he has made some great friends through shooting. Friends that "tell it like it is" but also know when to back off when Jon tells them our family is struggling with my illness.

Jon received some news yesterday that was like a kick in my hurt side. He had an ultrasound of his liver last week and the test found a 2 inch by 2 inch area that requires further testing. He will get a contrast CT scan and a liver biopsy soon. Jon was told a week or so ago that his cholesterol is way too high and that he needs to see a nutritionist. I couldn't control that he and his friend James ate bacon and eggs every day while they were away but now that Jon's home, I am going to do everything I can to try and reduce the fat and cholesterol in our home.

I need Jon not just for all of the things I described earlier but because I love him. I may not always show it but I don't know what I would do without him in my life. Not to mention, our son needs him. Although I've always been more of a "tomboy", I'm not able to be the father figure that our son needs. I can't answer Jon's questions about his "pee pee" because I don't have one! Real men don't grab their Mom's satin night shirt and wear it around the house.

My friend Sarah reminded me that I have friends. She reminded me that I have her cell # programmed in my cell phone not just to have an long address book. I have i there so I can use it. I have Deacon Tony's phone number in there for the same reason; so I can use it. My friends know that when Jon is gone that I have no family that I can turn to with my parents in ill health. My friends won't know when I need them unless I call them. These friends would have taken our son Jon for a few hours or even a couple of days if I had needed to go into the hospital last week. There would not have been a itemized bill handed to me detailing what I owed nor would I have had to pack sacks and sacks of food for Jonnie to eat while at their house.

I hope my Knight in Shorts & a Shootin' Vest is around for a very long time. However, if he's away shooting IDPA, I know that I can call upon my friends for help. I just need to put pride aside and make the call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home