Saturday, January 31, 2009

Latest updates

We made our second trip to the Cleveland Clinic yesterday. It was a very long day. I was up at 4:30 AM and we were on the road by 6. Once we got on Interstate 71, the roads were clear the whole drive up.

We went to Neurology first. After checking in and completing an assessment we waited while people coming in after us were being called back. I went to the desk to find out what was going on and I apparently had the slow doctor. Imagine my surprise when the doctor comes to get us and she's almost 10 years younger than us! I had to tell my story for the millionth time and go through sensory tests including being hit with a rubber hammer, pricked with safety pins, and touched with tuning forks. The resident came back with her attending who did some more sensory tests. End result was they were having their radiologist review my films, they ordered blood tests, and sent me home with orders for a 2 hour glucose test to do at OSU. Jon was not happy; he wanted an EMG ordered that would have followed the nerve in question.

It was time for Women's Health / Breast Center. The grouch working the front desk balked at OSU's CD of images instead of us having actual films. Good news is that the people who actually review the stuff, found our CD acceptable. I was prepped to have another mammogram but ended up not having to have one since the CD showed what needed to be seen. I moved around to several waiting rooms and finally got to an exam room where Jon was finally able to come back and join me. The nurse and the physican's assistance each spent more time with me than the doctor. The conclusion was that the swelling of my left breast that has been a concern is very likely related to the intercostal nerve issue. If three months from now there is still an issue, I should come back.

Time for blood work. My left arm was not giving yesterday. My right arm finally gave blood but with a lot of coaxing and a special small needle.

Finally, time to go home! Traffic was slow until we got onto 271 then 71. There was the giant pothole on Carnegie street that could not entirely be avoided without hitting another car. Okay, so the van needs an alignment now. On 77, a piece of icy snow blew off the top of someone's car and smacked the windshield of the van. Thank goodness it was a solid hit and the worst thing the impact did was knock off Jon's radar detector and move his mirrors.

We stopped in Ashland and had dinner with my parents at Bob Evans. We were both starving. The peanut butter sandwiches with grapes at 3 PM weren't much after not having eaten all day long. I wish I could have seen my parents longer but I am grateful for the hour we had. Being at a restaurant I was using my "inside voice" so I'm not sure my Dad heard much of anything I said.

Last stop before home, the Bonacci's to pick up Jonnie. He was showing us puppets and pinball. He also got "Star Student" for the day.

Once home, I pretty much washed up and went to bed. I kept my promise to Jonnie by having him watch the Power Rangers on the bedroom TV although I went to sleep. It was time for me to add a second Lyrica pill to increase my dose to 100 mg. Woah....feeling a little weird today. I think part of it might be that I did not eat much yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home