Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Saturday full of Classics

I'm not sure where Jon found it but he came across a 2 disc DVD set a while back of Classic cartoons. Each disc is two sided so we have 4 discs worth of Woody Woodpecker, Little Audrey, Betty Boop, Superman, Mutt & Jeff and, my favorites, Mighty Mouse & Popeye. Some of these classic cartoons, I hadn't even watched as a kid such as Mutt & Jeff or Little Audrey. Jonnie started watching some of these last night and it completely surprised me this morning when he wanted to bypass the usual Saturday morning Disney Channel line-up to watch the Classics!

I've been amazed by what I've seen in these Classics. Clark Kent was very humble as Superman. Lois Lane did some pretty stupid things just to get a story and she should be grateful for Superman! Little Audrey was happy with a lollipop. I should really eat more spinach to help increase my muscle strength like Popeye. Does Betty Boop own anything other than spike heels? Overall, wolves seem greedy wanting to feast on innocent piggies and sheep.

I was reminded of how times have changed. Children and/or pets were disciplined by spanking and scolding not time outs or grounding. Superman was a strong but not over-inflated like the remake of the Incredible Hulk. Women wore corsets and covered themselves; even Betty Boop's attire that might have seemed racy at back in the day is more than what is often seen on TV today. Little Audrey's dresses and hair bows are unheard of today; little girls are trying to so hard to dress like little ladies these days. Although Popeye eats spinach and can save Olive Oyl, he'd be frowned upon in current times for his pipe.

Today's trip "back in time" has been fun although I did not sit with Jonnie all day and watch cartoons I saw enough while I was cleaning and mopping and washing dishes or when I did sit down to take a break. It was a refreshing change from shows like "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" or "Hannah Montana" which feature spoiled children living a life full of material things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home