Monday, July 02, 2007

Perspective from the City

My friend Sarah posted a jovial post on her blog warning City folk like myself about life in the country. I thoroughly reading about country-life having been a city folk all my life with Plain City being the closest I'll probably ever get to "country living". Her post got the wheels turning in my mind so I thought I'd share my "Perspective from the City".

The Aroma of Manure - The closest thing we have to manure where I live is the pile of BS stirred up by my in-laws. Having smelled manure a few times in my life, I'd rather smell it than deal with the in-law BS.

Closed Door Policy - If we leave our doors open, Brinks will know and call to find out what on earth we're thinking!

Fake Air in the Summer Time - When the thermostat inside says 83-85, we close the windows and turn on the AC and bask in the cool fake air until the $150+ electric bill arrives. For us, open windows and fresh breezes are a luxury.

Laundry Outside - I can't site what article and section but our deed restrictions strictly forbid outdoor clotheslines. The most I've ever dried outside are our towels after a dip in the pool.

Clean -Up Prior to Guests - If we have advance notice, we make every effort to have the place clean. My father-in-law is very critical of me so I kill myself trying to clean the place before he comes. My husband will short of scrub with a toothbrush if his mother is coming or if co-workers are coming. When my Mom & Dad used to come visit, I'd give the house what my Mom calls a "lick and a promise" knowing that my Mom would scrub the crusties off my counters and stove to keep from going outside to smoke. Our apologies go out to Mark, our insurance & financial advisor who met with us last week at the dining room table with the cat hair on the tablecloth. The table is a cat lounge when we are at work.

Toys - Honestly, they were picked up at one time until about an hour before you arrived when Jonnie decided that he needed to find the train buried somewhere in all of those bins. We know they hurt under foot so watch your step and feel free to keep your shoes on if they aren't muddy or slushy.

Cats - We have two of them. Tiger will generally run and hide until you've been at the house for a little while. Before you leave, he'll probably feel comfortable enough around you that he'll have rubbed you until you want to throw him out the door or he'll have decided to plop down at your feet, throw his leg in the air, and bathe. Midnight, he's the oldest cat who will saunter through occasionally giving a grunt or a holler waiting for you to get out of HIS house.

A TV in almost every Room - Forget a chicken in every pot (we did that last week and I'm so sick of chicken) but how about a TV in almost every room? I remember when I was Jonnie's age only having a 20-inch TV in our living room that was controlled by a dial. When Jon finishes the "lounge" in the basement, we'll have our third big screen via a projection onto a wall.

Depression & Bitterness - I think all of us "city folk" could benefit from an exchange program where we would go and spend life out on the farm in the country. Instead of feeling angry when a tractor putts down the road with a load of corn or wheat making us later for an appointment we're speeding to, maybe we'd appreciate the farmer. Instead of having to pop pills to regulate our chemistry and keep our neurons firing on all cylinders, we could unwind spending time with the sheep, cows, and chickens in the barn. My friend Sarah and her family are such kind and joyful people and I think their way of life (the farm, spiritual, loving & supportive family) help make them the way they are. My Uncle Greg & Aunt Maxine have a farm where they have sheep and cows. I haven't seen them in 3 years but I enjoy every moment I do get to see them. I remember getting to spend some time on their farm when I was a little girl. There are certain times of the year where baby lambs are in the house to stay warm and for feeding. Jonnie already asked for a sheep and although I can't site the article or section, our deed restrictions strictly prohibit livestock in the housing development.

I cannot explain it but I think country-folk just have a better outlook on life. Reading Sarah's posting about farm life shows how her family lives simply but so richly. In the City, we complicate our lives so much trying to live richly by possession of material goods that we overlook the simple things.

I need to wrap this up and get ready for bed. Based on the weather forecast, this will probably be the last night this week that I get to sleep with the windows open and crisp, gentle breezes blowing the curtains and causing me to reach for the comforter!

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM , Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

LOL
But I must point out that living simply is not limited to those of us outside city limits... :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home