Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A nice long weekend

We wrapped up a nice long weekend at our house.

I got to sleep in on Saturday and Monday which was nice. Jon had a shooting match on Saturday but I never heard him leave. My wake up call came when Jonnie climbed up into bed and said "Mama, I can't get Elmo to work". Yesterday's wake up call was Jonnie telling Jon that he needed to get up because it was sunny out.

Jonnie and I had a fun time at the playground on Friday night. It was hot so we did not stay quite as long as planned. I went to Kroger and bought groceries. When I got home and got things put away, I made a fire in the outdoor fireplace. Jonnie seemed excited about s'mores. I brought out all of the fixings, toasted some marshmallows, and assembled 6 s'mores. I gave Jonnie one which he promptly took apart removing the chocolate while leaving behind the marshmallow and graham cracker as he said he wanted to go back inside. I found myself sitting on the bench tending the fire with a glass of red wine and a plate of 5 s'mores. Thankfully, my husband decided to make a cameo and he had some s'mores.

I finished mulching on Saturday. I am waiting on my plants to come in from Park Seed so I can plant those and then we tackle the edging project. I sprayed more weed killer yesterday now that I can get further back into the woods than I could previously. I found more poison ivy when I was cleaning so I wanted to get rid of that ASAP.

On Sunday, Jon made French toast and sausage after church. Since it was hot, I got out the pool set that my MIL bought Jonnie for his birthday. I was armed with a dinky little hand pump and the box when I ran into my husband in the hall. He laughed when he saw the pump. He went downstairs and brought up the hose for his air compressor and filled all of the pieces in the hallway and helped me set up the pool set in the backyard. Jonnie didn't care for the sprinkler canopy so we turned that off. I even put on my swimsuit and hung out in the pool for a while. I preferred laying on a beach towel sipping red wine from a water bottle (what a hillbilly, I know) but Jonnie wanted me in the pool. He went up and asked Daddy to come in the pool but Jon was putting some spareribs on to bake in a beer bath and I told Jonnie not to interrupt perfection (which as usual, the ribs were excellent).

All the outdoor play caused Jonnie to take a nap! Jon got the ribs off the grill just as the rain broke loose. We were eating ribs and potato salad as the NASCAR race started. It was the Coca-Cola 600 which is the longest race of the year. I love to watch racing but I kept looking at the lap count and waiting. The race had a very weird ending; not the ending Jon or I wanted with our drivers finishing further back than desired. I was waiting for Jon to blame the outcome on my moving our NASCAR flags to the backyard so that I could feature the garden flag with Jonnie's artwork. I washed the vehicles with my Mr. Clean Autodry system. It gets off the surface dirt so if you bump your car, your butt isn't black but it doesn't get off the tough stuff. Jon had the van backed into the garage so I very slowly (emphasis on slowly) pulled the big beast out of the garage into the driveway so I could wash it. I later told him it was done and he was responsible for putting it back!

Monday was pretty ho-hum. Jonnie and I walked down the street to watch the parade. Jonnie didn't like the parade. Being a small town, there is not much to the parade. Jon spent most of the day working in the basement putting up the interior walls for his room. Jonnie and I went out in the pool again and I later dumped out the water and stored the parts under the deck for next time. I made a fire in the outdoor fireplace and put a foil pan of chicken breasts to cook on top. Jonnie brought some cars out and sat at the table with me for a while but later went in to watch "Shrek". I stayed outside tending the fire and checking the chicken and flipping through magazines until the chicken was done. I later realized that I got a lot of sun yesterday and I've been drinking lots of water to rehydrate. Jon finally made another cameo appearance for dinner.

Tuesday, today, marked the return to work. I woke up down the hall in the spare room because my dear hubby was snoring horribly because of congestion from inhaling sawdust and drywall dust yesterday. My body is stiff and sore from all of the weekend's activities. My skin is slightly parched. I had a revalation this morning on what to get my husband for Father's Day because I figured out one thing that "the man who has everything" didn't have but has wanted for a while. I'm not spoiling the surprise! He knows that I got him something because I asked to borrow bungy cords for my car trunk because I don't know if it will fit in my car even with the seat folded down on the one side. He said that if "said item" arrives for pick up this weekend that we can go and pick it up in the van. Sears is telling me it might not be at the Tuttle Crossing store until June 6th. We're playing that by ear.

I'd better get back to work. I need to refill my water and plod on.

Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home