Friday, May 25, 2007

Time Flies When You're.........

BUSY!!!!!!

Okay, so I've had some fun mixed in with the busy!

Jon's birthday party went well. No one left hungry and Jon got a ton of gifts although no one was supposed to bring gifts!

I finished night school this week, I have one week off, and then I start my third and final class on June 5th.

I've been doing a great deal of yard work this year and after spending so much money on plants, I've been more diligent about watering than ever before. The front garden and side gardens have been done for a while although I gave the side gardens some top soil last night. It's been the back wooded area that has taken most of my time and it's finally starting to take shape.

My father-in-law gave me some small Rose of Sharon bushes from his yard and I planted those this week. I think I ended up with around 8. Last week, I mulched part of the area that I covered with landscape fabric but I ran out of mulch. Jon picked up another 20 bags of mulch so I could finish up. I ordered some more plants that I hope come in next week. The new plants were inspired by some Better Homes & Gardens plans that I found online. I looked at the pictures and the plant list, found the plants I wanted at Park Seed and placed the order.

Although I've cleaned out a great deal of the wooded area, I still had a few surprises this week. Wednesday night was the rotten, bloated, dead squirrel floating a bucket. That stuck in more ways than one. While dragging the bucket to the empty lot next to us so I could dump it a thorn on a branch went through my shoe and into the bottom of my foot. At least the nest of baby robins was cute to watch.

Last night, I was cutting down some half dead bushes before I started mulching and got knocked in the head by a dead tree limb that fell out of a tree that my butt bumped into. I was able to get the remaining dead limbs without them hitting me in the head. The tree that seems to "rain" ants is pretty interesting and left me with a creepy crawling feeling until I got a bath. There were at least two times that I felt something on my leg only to look down and find blood trailing down my leg. Again, the baby robins were cute to watch and I apologized to the bunny who got a stick tossed in his direction.

We have a couple of trees with big holes in them which look like they could be owl houses. Jon said "Mommy, was Owl down in that tree?". He was referring to "Owl" from Winnie The Pooh. I told him that I didn't see Owl but that I'd seen a really big bumble bee in the one tree the night before. My husband came outside and Jon said "Daddy, you need to put a door on that tree". Jon thinks a door on the tree will help keep the bees out of Owl's house. I don't think Daddy's going to get out the jigsaw and build a "bee door" anytime soon.

Well, I'd better get back to work. I'm picking up some dinner for Jon and I so we can go to the playground while Daddy goes to the shooting range to prep for his match tomorrow. I need to go to the grocery store and get some "cooking beer" so Jon can make ribs this weekend. I'm going to get the makings for s'mores hoping that we can make a fire in the fireplace and make s'mores. I want to finish mulching this weekend and maybe even get some sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home