Thursday, June 14, 2007

My life revolves around toilets

I almost wrote "my life is in the toilet" but that really isn't true. When someone makes that statement, it means life is flat out crummy. Life is busy but just fine.

Why do I say my life revolves around toilets? Let me explain.

Potty training continues with our son who is skilled at peeing in the potty but pooping has been a different story. My husband finally had enough of cleaning up poop and washing out underwear so he began to take things away from Jonnie every time he pooped in his underpants. We thought taking one bucket of trains away would be enough to make him poop in the toilet. Wrong. We collected wooden trains, metal trains, plastic trains as well as "Cars" die cast vehicles, play tools, "Cars" plastic vehicles and had containers & buckets sitting on top of the frig and on the buffet. The other night Jon said to me "Lock the movie cabinet and put away the key". Jonnie cried for a while that night but moved on to other things.

Yesterday afternoon Jonnie asked me if he could watch a movie. I had to tell him he couldn't because his movies are locked up until he started pooping in the potty instead of his pants. He fussed and cried. I told him that I couldn't sit and listen to his crying because I had a trunkful of stuff from Sam's Club including frozen food that was melting and wine that was going to turn into mulled wine with the heat. After 3 trips, I got everything into the house. On the last trip, Jonnie called for me. He was standing in the doorway of the half bath with his pants and underwear at his ankles pointing to the potty telling me he did it. I walk in the bathroom and, sure enough, he pooped in the potty. I told him I was proud of him and checked for any messes (there were none). He looks at me asks "Can I watch my movie now?". He had all of his toys back before Dad got home, too.

There's also a story about my Dad & toilets. I talked to Mom & Dad on Sunday morning. Dad told me about having lunch with his sisters & my Grandma to celebrate Grandma's 95th birthday. After that, he told me what happened on Saturday night. Mom had gotten some cake at the store and they were each enjoying some cake while watching TV. A little while later, my Dad's stomach got really upset. He went into the bathroom and started to vomit. He finished and shut the lid on the toilet to flush so that he could move on to brushing his teeth to get the nasty taste out of his mouth. He started to brush his teeth when he realized he was missing his top teeth. My Dad has a top row of dentures and his bottom teeth are natural. Apparently my Dad's teeth came out while he was vomiting and went into the toilet which he had since flushed. My Mom put on gloves trying to reach down the trap but couldn't find anything. Several calls were made to plumbers with only one call back. I checked in on Monday and found out that someone finally came out and went through the entire plumbing system and Dad's teeth were gone. The plumber said they might be at the sewage treatment plant in town. My Dad got impressions taken for new dentures on Tuesday.

I don't know why but these toilet stories reminded me of my late Grandpa Woodruff's toilet garden. Many, many years ago when I was a child and my Grandpa was strong enough to work in his gardens, the toilet garden was created. One of the toilets at their house had to be replaced. Grandpa was not one to throw anything away including an old toilet. He removed all of the "mechnicals" from the toilet tank, took off the seat, and the tank lid. He moved the old toilet to the backyard near the shed, filled the toilet bowl & tank with potting soil, and planted plants. Thus, the toilet garden was born. My Grandpa has been gone for 7 years and I believe the toilet garden was removed from the yard a few months after he died when the weather warmed up.

Now that you probably think I'm totally weird. At least I ended my posting on a fun note regarding my Grandpa's toilet garden. I love Grandpa but the toilet garden is not something I will replicate in my landscaping.

Blessings for a wonderful weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home