Sunday, July 08, 2007

Vacation Envy

I'm suffering from something that I call "vacation envy". This condition is caused by hearing about others vacations they've taken or their future vacation plans.

A vendor that I met with on Friday just got back from two weeks at a beach (I can't recall the name now) and also spent 4th of July on the lake and was heading out again this weekend.

My boss went to Cape Cod. Another co-worker had a week off and golfed every day although he was disappointed because health concerns kept him stateside instead of going to Canada fishing. One of my supervisors went to Boston for a few days, just got back from a long weekend in Vegas, and she'll be going to Albania next month.

I was in a meeting last week and two people talked about trips they're taking to Myrtle Beach in August. Another is currently in Illinois for a soccer camp to prep teams to go to Rio later this year. Feeling left out, I casually mentioned that I'll be vacationing in Leetonia. I was impressed that one person actually knew of the town because he grew up in the Youngstown area; everyone else gave blank stares.

To be technical, my two vacation days I took on August 3 and 6 are not actually being spent in Leetonia. On the 3rd I'll be getting everything ready to go to Leetonia but trying to relax and enjoy the day as well. I think I might try to go to Friday morning mass and then get a hair cut and do grocery shopping. On the 6th, I'll be doing laundry and de-stressing.

I know this year Jon needed his vacation days to go to a national shooting match in Pennsylvania with his buddy Mike. Part of why he did this is because we had no plans. Well, I decided that I was going to put together some plans for 2008! This is what I've come up with so far:

A possible long weekend at the Longaberger Homestead for my birthday.

Easter at home, just the 3 of us. I might even take off Good Friday so I can go to all of the services I normally miss during the day on Good Friday.

For Jonnie's 5th birthday, a party for he and his friends on a Sunday afternoon at our house with cupcakes, ice cream, and juice boxes. I had to choose Sunday because Jon will be shooting on Saturday since I want to have the party after Jonnie's birthday and not before. We have attended the most fun and simple birthday parties this summer. We just had one yesterday where the boy's Mom ordered pizza for everyone in addition to homemade cupcakes and ice cream cups. I hate to say that I doubt I'll do the homemade thing for Jonnie's party. Sam's Club offers theme cupcakes. Jonnie doesn't seem to like ice cream right now but it's not much to get ice cream cups. Jon and I have argued over this party already because my plan is to have it for Jonnie and his friends only. I said that I didn't want to waste money mailing out invites to family because I know no one will come to the party plus I don't want them to feel obligated to send a gift.

The thing I am most excited about that I've started planning for next year is a 5-day get away for Jon and I to Put-in-Bay. I found a bed and breakfast that has country-themed rooms and if I can get the Italian room, I'm going to reserve it. I had to move our trip to after our anniversary so it is between shooting matches. I already emailed my mother-in-law and she has a conference that week so we might have to adjust our dates around her conference because she seems to be open to coming to Ohio to watch Jonnie for us. She agreed that we need to get away which is why I think she is being supportive. I thought about asking my Mom & Dad if they would come down and watch Jonnie but I know they are uncomfortable out of their home and they'll each be 73 next year and although Dad's doing better, I think it would be rather rough on them to deal with Jonnie for 5 days. My hubby and MIL were both mortified that I tried searching the Internet for a place where I could board Jonnie kind of like people do with pets when they go away. I guess that shows how bad I want to take this vacation with my husband! My MIL works with 9-1-1 and she said that if I heard the calls regarding kids or the elderly that I'd never let Jonnie or my parents out of my sight. She's probably right but I was trying to find an option should she not be able to come in and watch him. I feel bad asking someone to come in from Kansas (or wherever her conference is) to watch our son but I know she is thrilled that I asked her and she'll do everything she can to help us. She learned Plain City and Dublin when we moved in 2004 so if she gets a rental car or if she uses my car while we're gone, I know they'll be able to get out and about.

I also reminded myself that I really need to stop comparing myself to others. That is a terrible habit that I have. We have a nice home, we live comfortably, we have our Faith, and we have each other. This is really what is important.

Blessings for your Sunday and a great rest of the week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home