Friday, August 10, 2007

Downtown Columbus - Nice to visit

I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this week at a training class in downtown Columbus. Map-point directed me to chug down Route 4 aka National Road aka West Broad Street. My commute was 50 miles a day round trip but, overall, the drive was not too bad.

I got to go through our old neighborhood where we bought a house shortly after we were married. I took a detour and went by our old house and it pretty much looks the same. The new owner redid the flower beds and they look nice. Unfortunately, the neighborhood is getting really run down. They started building up one section and the older section goes to pot (I'm sure pot has something to do with it, too!).

The formerly empty Big Bear became a nice new Giant Eagle with a gas station which was good to see. The old Long John Silvers became a combo Long John Silvers and A&W. It's probably good that wasn't there when we lived there. The old Pizza Hut is a car dealership. The old golf store became a sexual novelty store; I can't explain that transition but let's just say that Callaway golf clubs are no longer displayed in the windows!

Just when I thought detouring around our 42-bypass was annoying, I quickly learned that a downtown full of one-way streets and constructions is a million times worse! Not to mention, can they cram anymore cars in a paid parking lot? I am glad that I have a mid-size car because I don't know how vans and trucks navigate the close spaces.

Although I enjoyed the break from eating packed lunches, buying lunch for 3 days was a bit expensive. We got hour and 15 minute lunch breaks. I was able to go outside, walk around to stretch my legs, and pick up a meal. I was able to sit down and savor my food without dropping things on a keyboard. I did tear up my left foot walking around in dress shoes on Wednesday. I had a hang nail and it got aggravated. I was amazed while watching people the number of women that walk around and even run across the streets of downtown in spike heels! Figures that I tear up my foot in a pair of comfort sandals!

I went into St. Joseph Cathedral one day after lunch. I guess they don't have the same "open door policy" that we have at St. Joseph Church in Plain City. I just wanted to go in and spend some time in prayer. I felt really uncomfortable so I left after about 10 minutes. When I was walking out, a man scoffed at me. I think he was offended because I was carrying a bottle of Coke Zero left from lunch. I was NOT sitting in the Cathedral guzzling soda; I was carrying the bottle because I was going to finish the soda during the next hour or so. OH well.

You see a lot of sights that you just have to see. I saw a rally driving home today but I'm not sure what it was for. Masses of people in purple t-shirts marching across Broad Street with a couple people beating on drums. We only have drum beating during parades here in Plain City!

Downtown Columbus was a nice place to visit but I don't think I'd want to work there on a regular basis. I'll be glad to go back to OSU West Campus on Monday with my packed lunch.

Have a wonderful weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home