Friday, August 10, 2007

Does Adultery Have to Involve a Person?

While my son watches "Little Audrey" and "Betty Boop" on the big screen, I wanted to explore definitions of adultery on the Internet. The majority of the definitions indicate adultery involves sexual acts with a person other than his/her spouse. I went through more links from my "Google" search and found a website called www.divorceinfo.com which explore clues that your spouse is having an affair aka committing adultery.

You're probably wondering why on earth is Jodi broaching this topic. Allow me to explain. My husband is in love with his guns and the sport of shooting. Nothing stands in the way of Jon spending time with his guns and/or a shooting match. Jon has only missed one match and that was in May because we had to cater Jonnie's birthday party out of town at his Dad's house in Leetonia. The only reason why Jon went to Leetonia is because he knew I would not drive to Leetonia to take the party to Jon's family because I was bitter about the whole arrangement to begin with.

My husband Jon is actively having an affair but it's not with another woman (at least for now unless things heat up between he & Kate). Instead of a busty bleached blonde, he cheats on me with pistols named Springfield and long guns named Mossberg, Beretta, and Remington. He spends hours on the computer researching and creating scenarios or finding new guns or parts to buy. Jon fusses over what meals to serve for match attendees for his matches at Big Darby. I pray for leftovers from the match so I can get a break from cooking since Jon won't cook a meal at home for Jonnie and I.

The divorceinfo.com web site I mentioned previously has clues to look for if you think your spouse is having an affair. Although my husband's love affair is with guns, many clues are there such as:

"Supposedly works a lot of overtime, but it never shows up on the pay stub."

"Spends an excessive amount of time on the computer, especially after you have gone to bed."

"Your spouse is away from home, either nights or on trips, more than previously." - Jon has shooting matches every single weekend in September including 2 out of state trips with one being 5 days long. Jon saves his vacation to go shooting so family trips are Jonnie & I alone.

"Your spouse seems less comfortable around you and is "touchy" and easily moved to anger."

"He/she loses attention in the activities in the home." - Do you know how hard it is to have Jonnie say with a sad face and tears "I want my Daddy" when you know his Dad doesn't give a rat's tushie about him?

"Your intuition (gut feeling) tells you that something is not right."

"He/she has a definite change in attitude towards everyone in the home."

It hurts sharing this but sharing this helps me cope with this reality. I clicked a link on the web site called "Stop the Divorce!" and it took me to a page where I could order a book that would help me learn how to be irresistible and have him hanging on my every word. Sorry, but I'm not ordering the book. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to find a way to have Jon be a part of our family again. Last weekend, Jon & Jonnie went to Leetonia for my the Italian Fest. On Sunday, Jon got up and left the house with his guns and met his brother somewhere so they could go shooting. My father-in-law and sister-in-law ended up with Jonnie for the day. I had emailed my sister-in-law a couple weeks back to ask her if she would give Jon a hand with Jonnie during the Italian fest so that my husband could have something to eat or go to the bathroom since I would not be there to take care of Jonnie. I never meant for my sister-in-law to take care of my son the next day so Jon could run off with his guns. I guess seeing that Jon ran out on Jonnie and left relatives other than me holding the bag really made it clear how obsessed Jon is with shooting & guns.

As if the affair with his guns weren't enough now Jon's friend Kate from back home is in the picture. Kate recently divorced her husband Rob. Although she lives in Cleveland, she travels to Columbus frequently for the law firm where she works. She called the other night saying she was in town. I'm not sure how long she was planning to be in town but Jon had several hours to kill between work and a shooting class he's teaching on campus tonight. Generally, Jon has come home for dinner with us and then headed back to campus. Jon refused to come home tonight saying that gas is so expensive and he didn't want to spend the money to drive home since he has to drive to Circleville tomorrow for a match. Did he and Kate have a little get together before Jon went a teaching? I'll probably never know since Jon and Kate talk to each other on their cell phones unless I hack into Jon's cell phone account and read his bill and I don't want to be that way. Gas prices have dropped slightly and driving to Leetonia last weekend never phased Jon and neither did driving to who knows where on God's green earth to shoot last weekend.

I went in the Cathedral yesterday after I ate lunch to pray because I need strength and guidance. Starting next week, I will have a temporary work schedule of 7:30 AM to 4 PM on Mondays & Fridays and 9 AM to 6 PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Is Jon going to screw me over during the month I have to work this schedule and force me to take an hour vacation to leave at 5 PM so I can pick up Jonnie by 6 PM so that he can go to the range? Is Jonnie going to have to wait until I get home for something to eat and drink watching a movie because Jon ran off to meet Kate somewhere?

I could probably go on for hours but I really should get back to Jonnie although he seems to be enjoying his movie. Jonnie and I only have each other since Jon wants nothing to do with us. Jonnie and I will only have each other if I bite the bullet and file for divorce. I have lost track of how many times I've threatened to leave Jon only for him to change temporarily. Maybe Jon really needs to be on his own in a little shanty with he and his beloved firearms.

Thanks for "listening". God be with you.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 PM , Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Jodi, the person you need to share this with is JON. And, given that it sounds like you have tried, I think you two need to look into counseling. Saying "divorce is the only solution to this problem" (though I know you didn't say THAT) is like saying that "jumping off the bridge into the water below is the best way to cool off when your house is 90 degrees." Looking back over conversations in the last three years, I think there's a recurring theme. First it was Knights of Columbus. Now it's shooting. I think the two of you could benefit from some guidance. I hope I'm not overstepping by saying so. ((hugs and prayers))

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Jodi said...

Sarah,

I completely agree. I've tried the counseling idea before but I am willing to try it again. Given that I don't like heights, I don't want to jump off the bridge!

Love,

Jodi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home