Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm a woman on a mission!

Thanks to a post by a woman in the Families Helping Hemochromatosis Families group, I was inspired to embark on a mission. The American Hemochromatosis Society encourages us members to "get the word out". When I saw the post by the woman who had written to her local newspaper, I thought "I can do that". I wrote and emailed a letter to the Madison Press. Hmmm....I thought, you know I should send a letter to the Columbus Dispatch. Let's just say that I did not stop there. I emailed letters to (the) Ashland Times Gazette, Salem News, Youngstown Vindicator, This Week Newspapers, Mansfield News Journal, and Marysville Journal Tribune.

I started with newspapers near where we live and also included those near where each Jon and I grew up. My goal is to email my "letter to the editor" on hemochromatosis to every newspaper in Ohio. I found a listing of Ohio newspapers so I'm checking them off as a I go. I don't think I could do this project without the power of the Internet and computers. If I had to use a pen and paper to write each letter, I am not sure I could do it.

Last night, Jon and I were talking about his treatments or the phlebotomies he'll begin next month. Jon said he'd like to arrange to whereever he needs to go during his lunch hour and eat his lunch while his blood is drawn. I told him that if it can be arranged, I'd go with him in case he needs help afterward. Jon laughed because I'm the same woman who darn near passed out several years ago when I had to have blood tests done and I saw the vials of blood sitting on the table next to my chair. I told Jon that it would be hard but that I want to be there for him even if I need to turn my back while the blood is being drawn. Somehow, the joke came out that we put a different spin on having lunch over a pint since Jon would likely have a pint of blood drawn at each treatment.

We're getting ready to start showing #3 of Bob the Builder tonight. I fell asleep in my recliner last night during the 2nd round of Spongebob episodes on DVD. I woke up at 12:15 AM and found Jonnie had finally gone to sleep. I'd better go finish reading my postal mail so I can work on sending out more letters a little later tonight. Good night!

1 Comments:

At 9:44 PM , Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

Good for you, Jodi! It sounds like there may be some blessings in the hemochromatosis, with lunches with Jon being one of them...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home