Thursday, May 07, 2009

Dear Jonnie as you turn 6

Dear Jonnie,

I write this on the eve of your 6th birthday. I can't believe how quickly these six years have gone by that you've been in my life.

It seems like only yesterday that you were born and had to go back to the hospital because of jaundice. Granny Smith was by my side as I sat in a chair by your ultraviolet box and cried. I blamed myself for your plight with everything from having drank too much orange juice to the orange cheese (which you love) on McDonald's hamburgers.

You and I spend a lot of time together. As an infant, you were sick a good bit and Dad could not take time off work to stay home when you were sick. Of course, we had 12 weeks together while I was on leave from work. We have Saturdays when Daddy shoots plus his trips to state and national matches. We have evenings when Daddy has Knights meetings and we have the time when Daddy is watching NASCAR.

I've tried to be a mother and a father to you. I think you've come to learn that I'm not so good at fixing things like the TV when it breaks. I guess that's the advantage to having so many because we can go to another room.

I'm by no means perfect and I think you've learned to realize this. I'm stubborn and tempermental and I don't tolerate being told what to do in my personal life. Unfortunately, my stubborness meant that you have no birthday party with your friends this year. Pap-Pap gave you a family party at Easter but I know that's not the same. I promise that next year you will have a party with your new friends that you make at Plain City Elementary as you enter first grade in the fall. As for a family party, someone else can do that.

I Love You, Jonnie, more than words can say. I know it doesn't always show especially on my stressed out day but I do Love You Very, Very Much.

Happy Birthday with Love,

Mama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home