Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Redecorating without dollars

At the end of last week, I moved into what used to be our spare bedroom. My husband had been in that room for 3 weeks but when he went back on call for work, I quickly realized after 2 calls in the middle of the night that it made no sense for the phones he's called on to be in a different room. I'd rather not schlep phones down the hall in the wee hours of the morning. Jon is also a difficult person to wake up so he needed to be next to his alarm clock again.

I've been in my new bedroom for only a few days and I have the urge to redecorate. However, with car repair bills, school tuition, summer camp, and vacations there really isn't the extra money for me to run out and buy new stuff. For years when we shared a bedroom, Jon's tastes ruled the bedding choices so we've had varying comforters of black & gray. Now that on-call and constant snoring has lead to different sleeping arrangements, I feel like a little girl again and want a more feminine room. Right now, I have a quilt on the bed that my Mom made that is shades of lavendar and white. I needed something lighter-weight than the heavy black & white plaid comforter that had been on the bed. Of course, the plaid bedskirt that matched the comforter is on the bed. I was looking for bedspreads on-line and kept going toward ones that had roses. I keep thinking that we still have a bedspread in the basement that my mother-in-law gave us when we got our first apartment and it's got roses on it. We only used it a short time before Jon found a black comforter for the bed. The bedspread had matching valances so I would have to get brackets so the valances can go on the windows with the wood blinds. You can see pictures of my room in my album called My Blah New Bedroom on my Facebook page.

We had a lot of pictures up on the walls at our old house. I found a box of pictures and it was boy scout patches in a large frame and Jon's certificate. Not quite what I'm wanting on the walls in my room. I love the desk and night stand in the room. There is a mirror over the bed that matches them although I'll admit that the mirror sometimes makes me nervous. I'd love to get rid of the TV but since Jonnie sometimes likes to come into my room at night, I'd probably better keep it.

Does anyone have any ideas to share with me on redecorating my room without (or with very few) dollars? I'd love to hear from you if you do!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home