Sunday, February 24, 2008

Updates, Updates, Updates

Wow! I didn't quite realize how long it had been since I posted last.

Since my last post, I had my birthday and I'm now 35. Jon and I each had our yearly personal health assessments done by the University a few days ago and neither one of us scored well. I was diagnosed overweight with high blood pressure. Jon was diagnosed overweight with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high glucose.

The health assessment helped to serve as a wake-up call for me. My Mom has been going through various tests since the beginning of the year. She recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure and is temporarily on medication. Doctors also found a small blockage around her heart so she is going in for a heart catheterization on Thursday morning.

My grocery list on Thursday night was different. I sought only canned vegetables that were either "low sodium" or "no salt added". I bought unsalted pretzels, unsalted cashews, and unsalted mixed nuts. The soups I bought were all reduced sodium and so were the frozen dinners we eat for lunches. I was amazed at how few products are reduced sodium and how sodium crops up in so many every day foods.

I've started using a free web site to track the foods I am eating. The same site also allows me to track my weight and my activity. I've worked out twice so far which isn't stellar but better than nothing. I have a little card to keep track of my blood pressure. I'm very happy to say the last 3 times I've checked it that it has been decreasing and I'm now sitting in an acceptable range.

I'd better wrap up here. I have a few other things to do before it's time to get my shower and start rousing the troops for 8:30 AM mass. Today's after mass treat are homemade cinnamon rolls that I'll bake when we get home. I used no added salt and I used olive oil instead of butter or margarine to help moisten the cinnamon and sugar filling. I also added some heart-healthy oats to the filling.

Have a Blessed Sunday and a wonderful week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home