Monday, January 07, 2008

Called to be a Missionary

It's always been a dream of mine to take a mission trip within the United States to help those in need. Up to this point, it's not materialized.

This changed when I was reading the church bulletin while eating lunch yesterday. Our youth minister wrote about an opportunity coming up at the end of March to take a bus trip to Louisiana to help continue rebuilding after Katrina. I jumped out my seat and ran the to garage where Jon was washing the inside of the van. I told him how much I wanted to go and he is supporting me. I ran to the computer (meanwhile, my turkey chili got cold) and emailed our youth minister to see if adults were welcome. She said the trip welcomes anyone who wants to go.

I'm so excited about the trip. Kelly and I talked briefly at our Ephinany potluck last night and I told her that I've already gotten the time off work and that Jon is willing to watch Jonnie while I'm gone. Jon did realize he has a shooting match while I'm gone so we're going to have to track down an all day babysitter.

The trip also changes our Easter plans. We were going to head North for dinner at Aunt Nina's but since the bus leaves on Easter Sunday night, I think we're all staying local. Jon didn't like the idea of leaving me behind since I'll be gone for a week so that he and Jonnie could make the trip North.

I told Jon that if OSU wins the National Championship against LSU that I will pack an OSU shirt to wear every day during my trip. He just laughed at me and my Mom chuckled when I told her about it.

I usually get monetary gifts for my birthday so I am going to put the money toward the cost of my trip. I also want to try and find a pair of work boots.

My excitement was dampened slightly when we got to the Ephiany potluck last night and realized that Jonnie's eye was very red. We stayed for the skit, prayer, and eating. We went to Nationwide Children's in Dublin and Jonnie's out of day care for two days and antibiotic eye drops for a week. Seeing that Jonnie's perking up has helped me gain more excitement about my trip.

I have to remind myself that I have an exam that I need to take on the 19th which, hopefully, will allow me to become a Certified Manager. Before that, we need to get through this week of vehicle sharing while Jon's van fender is being repaired. Jon has my car today and I get the car tomorrow while Jon stays home with Jonnie. It's very weird having to share my car.

Anyhow, I should wrap this up and get back to Jonnie.

Have a great week!

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM , Blogger Sarah Reinhard said...

That's fabulous! It will be interesting to hear about it when you get back! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home