Monday, November 27, 2006

What is "Status Quo"?

My mind has been wandering and racing today. Part of it is that I'm nervous about my flu shot that I'm getting later today. I've never had one before and I'm scared of needles. Jon was supposed to go with me to get one, too, but said he didn't need one.

I've been thinking this morning about "what is status quo"? I have thought back all the way to my childhood. Back then, you kept something or used something until it broke and had to be replaced. We used the same plates day and in day out because they were not broken and they were what we had in the cupboard. We only had one TV in our house and it had a dial to change the channels. Back then, you used to call a repairman to come and fix your TV and only replace the TV when it was beyond repair. Hmmm. Status quo now seems to be "this TV isn't large enough, let's replace it with one that is larger". Cars were purchased with the intent of driving them until they were falling apart back when I was a kid. Now you can get 2 year leases so you have a pretty new car every two years. My husband and I argued over my car this weekend. I have to have more work done on my car this coming weekend and he said "get a new car". I do not want to get a different car and, realistically, I cannot afford a new car. Whatever happened to repairing something when it's broken instead of just replacing it?

We live in such a disposable society. We are wasteful when it comes to our possessions and when it comes to our time. Our thinking is if we work countless hours of overtime, we have more disposable income to spend on bigger TVs, bigger and better firearms, cell phones that do everything under the sun except have the owner answer when you really need them to answer. When we gain a few pounds, it's easier to go and buy new clothes than to lose weight.

We don't appreciate what we have. When a man and a woman married years and years ago, they were in it for the long haul. They loved each other through weight gain, gray hair, wrinkles, glasses, and tattered clothes. Today, men gawk, stare, ogle, and fantize about women other than their wives. The wives, longing for their husband's love diet themselves into starvation trying to lose weight, color their hair as soon as one gray hair appears, get shots in their wrinkles to puff them up all trying to win back their husband's love. Trust me....I'm living this very life right now because my husband has what I nick-named the "Jennifer-scope" over the weekend. It's a telescope that can be used for shooting but dear hubby uses it to check out Jennifer. Jennifer is a our beautiful blonde neighbor who after 3 children has a body that looks like it was carved by angels without an ounce of body fat. Despite her small size, she can drive a mini-van and drive her husband's truck with ease. It's easy to see why she has my husband's undivided attention.

I cannot color my white hairs right now because color damages the hair and cancer charities only accept healthy hair to make wigs. It's been a sacrifice to see the white hairs when I look in the mirror but next year when I get my hair cut and sent off, I'm going blonde like Jennifer.

Since I'm scared of needles and afraid of a flu shot, Botox or collagen injections are not in my future but I do have a wide variety of Olay products to fight wrinkles so I have beautiful skin like Jennifer has.

Finally, I'm struggling with the diet right now. I have 18 pounds to lose until I hit my goal of 125. Jon and I were working outside while Jonnie napped yesterday and Jennifer was outside. I don't think 125 is going to get me where I need to be in order to look like Jennifer but I don't know. It's been so long since I've weighed 125 that I need to see what 125 looks like before I decide to go lower. Will 115, 110, or 100 be the ticket to looking like Jennifer? I can only hope to find the answer so that my husband turns his telescope toward me and I can rename it the "Jodi-scope".

What is Status Quo? When you figure it out, let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home